FAQ: Tips for Nanowrimo

These are my tips/opinions and are by no means a perfect method for being successful at NaNoWriMo

  1. Inspiration.  I usually like to pick a genre first.  Then think of my story as a cross between two existing properties like Twilight x Harry Potter.  Then I distill those properties down to it's constituent parts and think about how I'm going to make my story different.  Using my previous example, Twilight but with a Caribbean Mermaid Girl as the love interest.  If your story doesn't fit into these parameters, then try to make it into a simple phrase or pitch so you can explain it when someone asks you what it is.
  2. Research.  I'm super old school about this.  I like going to the library and looking up the books that I need so I can get a basic understanding of the topics in my book.  For my book, Kills of Her, I did a lot of research into the Song Dynasty.  I used my university's history inter library loan to be able to access some academic sources into what life was like for working class women during that time period.  Then I also looked into modern and historical autopsy methods.  I also looked into the difference between Chinese and American forensic policing methods.  I did speak to some of my university friends who were studying the subjects that I needed info on to be able to triangulate the resources I need to know where I have missing knowledge.
  3. Make an outline.  Even if you're a pantser, you should have some idea of where you're going.  It's okay if you don't use it at all, but just start somewhere.  I think if you're traveling somewhere you should check out a traveler's advisory and analogous if you're writing an outline, you should use an outline workbook.  Personally I would recommend this one.  NaNoWriMo does have their own prep workbook, but I never used it as it was created after a couple years of me doing the event.
  4. Now you get to start your trip.  Writing wise, I've made blog posts about how I write on my phone.  Actually writing wise, sometimes I use a playlist, but I would say that it is an addition of everyday efforts.  Just do it is really all there is to say.
  5. Editing sucks, but I would recommend a run through of Grammarly and ProWritingAid.  Think of your book as a painting that is always a work in progress.
  6. Querying.  I have not been successful at this so far, but I'd like to point out that there is a supportive community on Twitter.  Also joining a querying group on discord is invaluable.  Just keep a spreadsheet, take your rejections and keep editing and reapplying.  It only takes one yes.
  7. You Got an Agent!  Amazing!  You have a guide to where to go!
  8. You decide to self publish.  I'd recommend this guide.

But most importantly: writing is a personal journey, it's not a race.  Not everyone is writing what you want to do and not every genre has an enormous audience.  Have fun!  But focus on your audience and your book!  Good Luck!

Blog Archive